Thursday, April 22, 2010
Apple Hand Pies
When I decided to make those chicken "McNuggets" the other night, dinner quickly became all out Mickey D's style. Complete with fries (OK, baked not fried) and these apple hand pies for dessert.
I was of course inspired by McDonald's classic mini apple pies. This version is healthier than the original (again baked, not fried) and easy to make. Enjoy!
One pie crust yields about 4-6 hand pies, the perfect "family" size...unless you are the Duggers or my husband's family:)
These just need a quick egg wash for some color then a little baking in the oven.
1 pre-made pie crust (such as Pillsbury) at room temp
1 granny smith apple
1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 tsp cinnamon
tiny pinch of nutmeg
1 egg + 2 tbsp. water (to make the egg was)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Begin by peeling the apple and cutting it into small cubes.
3. Add the lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir till apples are well coated. Set aside.
4. Spread a little flour on your work surface and roll out the pie crust. Cut out circular shapes using a 4 1/2 inch diameter cookie cutter or the top of a wide glass (I used a margarita cup). One pre-made pie crust will yield 4-6 circular doughs crusts.
5. Put 1-2 tbsp of the apple filling into each circular dough and fold in half. Using a fork press the seams of the dough together.
6. In a bowl, whisk together the egg and water. Then lightly brush each of the apple pies with the egg wash. Cut two small vent holes on top of each pie. Place on a silicone or parchment paper lined cookie pan.
7. Bake the pies for 20-25 minutes or until surface looks golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
Source: Chef Mommy's Kitchen